Monday, April 28, 2008

Reality check

As we dropped Dad off at work the other day, John got excited as we approached the office building JT works in. John asked, "Is that where Daddy lives?" JT and I had a good laugh, but the reality of that question stung just a little bit. Yes, JT does work long hours quite often, and we enjoy every minute that we have with him at home. I would like to say we are getting used to JT's work schedule, but it changes so often I doubt we will ever "get used" to it. We are now very well settled into the fact that if Dad says he'll be home at a certain time, we can just automatically add 1-2 hours onto that, and be pretty accurate. I hope I don't sound like I am complaining. I am not mad or sad about the situation. John, Erin, and I are having lots of fun exploring new things in Texas, and we also enjoy our little rituals too.
When we bought our house, we chose to be close to the lake and the bike path for a reason. John, Erin and I like to take our daily bike ride around the lake. A little past half way, we stop at one of John's favorite playgrounds, and take a hearty break. Erin enjoys the swing, while John runs around and around and around until I'm all worn out from watching him. Then we ride the rest of the way home.
A weekly ritual we enjoy is the Arboretum. It is such a sanctuary, and it is so fun to watch John and Erin enjoying the different flowers and plants, and the huge open spaces to run around.
Lots of people told us that spring in Texas is awesome, and we would have to agree. It has been such a great temperature for the longest time, and there are so many different types of flowers that bloom at different times throughout spring. I know that the heat wave is just around the corner, so we are enjoying what we've got until its gone. The city splash parks open this weekend, so I think that will become another weekly, if not daily ritual of ours.
We, meaning I, actually enjoy the heat to an extent, so I am actually kind of looking forward to the summer. I am sure once July rolls around I will be eating those words, but for now we will just continue to enjoy each day as they come.

2 comments:

Jenn S. said...

LOL, so funny about John's comment - Savannah thinks that if Marc isn't at work, then he must be at Home Depot. Sigh.

Ahh, the arboretum is a sanctuary. Call us next time and we'll join you!

Thank you again for your help this week. :)

Rob said...

Hey Guys - I feel your pain - only on the other side of John's comment. Consulting means lots of travel and long hours. Lauren has reset her internal clock so she knows exactly when it's Thursday and my plane will land.

Hopefully, we won't regret these long hours when they are teenagers and completely insane.

Rob Stanger