John and Erin have the best Aunts and Uncles in the world. After discovering John's love affair with rockets (see previous post), Uncle Dave and Aunt Bayly sent John the ultimate card. John likes to get the mail with me every day, and he always asks if something is for him. I remember getting excited to see if there was any mail for me when I was younger. In fact, around my birthday, and other holidays throughout the year I would drag a chair outside, climb up to the mail box, and rifle through until I found something with my name on it. I had wonderful grandparents who always remembered special events, and sent us what we thought was a great treasure, a greeting card. Even after my Grandma Keeler passed away in 1988(I was 7 at the time), my sisters and I would still receive cards from my Grandpa, no doubt with a little help from Aunt Diane to remember the dates. My Grandpa would sign the cards, "With Love, Grand Pa" . He really was a grand Pa to all of us kids. My Grandma Plant would also send greeting cards every birthday, and on different holidays throughout the year. She still does. She even sends cards to Little John and Erin, and they love it! I actually have a box with all the greeting cards my grandparents have sent to me over the years. I don't know exactly why I saved them all. I knew that I was well loved, and I never really needed to find that out by reading and rereading those cards. But they were so special to me, like treasure.
As the internet has become an integrel part of my life, I neglect to think about sending greeting cards to loved ones. I mean, why would I want to drag myself to the store and spend another stamp, when the same message can be sent with a simple click. Because of the thought behind it, that's why. Thanks for sending the card Uncle Dave and Aunt Bayly! Not only did it make John excited beyond belief, but it reminded me of that same feeling when I was younger, and inspired me to be more thoughtful when it comes time to send birthday and holiday greetings. Yes, I think sometimes those cards you get at holidays and other times throughout the year are even better than a birthday card!
Oh yea, I also have an awesome source for purchasing really great cards. Some of you already know, but many may not know about http://www.thecardco.com/ It is run by a friend we knew at Wharton and a couple of her relatives. Thanks Jen!
2 comments:
Wow! I can't believe that little man you have is John! I just remember this tiny little tow-head boy that stayed with us and was an angel! Erin is a doll and I am sure keeps you guys on your toes. It is so nice to keep up with everyone - I am a terrible correspondent and this is a great way to see what "ya'll" are up to. Thanks for the plug, too!
Thats right! Dave and Bayly are the best. Brad is the worst. He never sends anything to LJ.
Post a Comment